Selecting the right industrial cable is of paramount importance. Laying out electrical wires and cables of the wrong specification is as if inviting troubles and problems. It is better to avoid such probabilities, rather than getting upset later. Don’t sacrifice the safety of man and material just for saving a negligible amount.
Copper is the commonly used material for conductors. The non-corrosive property and high conductivity make it the ideal choice. Besides being cheaper than Silver, the material has higher conductivity. Aluminium has been another option for cables. Because it is cheaper than copper, Aluminium is used for long-distance cabling. The low conductivity, compared to Copper, makes it less preferable for short distance cabling in industrial areas and other properties.
The basic measurement of cable is Wire Gauge or American Wire Gauge (AWG). The value is in reverse proportion to the thickness of the cable, i.e. the higher the value the thinner the cable. The category for specific purposes differs according to the voltage, wattage and amperage requirements. Accordingly, there are flexible, coaxial, pendant control cables, underground distribution cable and so on. The concept is to select the cable, to prevent the possibility of a failure or incident like fire.
Why Picking the Right Industrial Cable is Important?
Industrial areas would be a space of constant activities, production processes, and round the clock operations. The quality and reliability of electrical cables play a significant role in rendering constant service without disruptions, as well as, ensuring a safe working environment.
- Adverse Operational Conditions – Factories and production facilities will normally be high-temperature areas, with a constant manufacturing process. The electrical cables, especially the insulation sheathing, must withstand extreme heat conditions. A low-quality wire would succumb to the temperature and this may lead to a fire.
- Chemical Environment– Industrial establishments may be using chemicals for the manufacturing of components. The chemicals may react with the sheathing and damage the same, exposing the copper conductor inside. It can cause electric shock, fire or a short circuit. And may turn fatal.
- Physical Impact – The movement of heavy items, machinery and products can damage the cables. The electrical cables used in industrial areas must have proven the quality to resist impacts without failing. Consider this aspect in case the industrial establishment, where cabling is planned, deals with heavy loads.
- Climatic Adversities – Operation of industries will not be stopped even during bad weather scenarios. It will continue as much as possible unless there is a red warning. The electrical cable must endure heavy rain, storm, and heat. Moreover, it should be capable of preventing moisture ingress.
The industrial cables must have the integrity to function perfectly in any type of situation. Any type of damage or defect to the cable can turn detrimental to the employees and the establishment. It can affect the firm financially as well. Why compromise on safety and invite such complications?
How to Choose Industrial Cables?
The cables for the industrial entity must be chosen only after examining the properties. Select electrical cables only from reputed Cable manufacturers in UK. Thereby it can be confirmed that the international standards and specifications have been complied with whilst manufacturing. Furthermore, the quality assurance process has been pursued meticulously by the in-house team.
The insulation sheathing or the jacket of the cable will have codes indicating specifications printed. The specifications required will differ depending on the industry and the area where the cable would be installed. The electrical team from the industry should identify the standards necessary and confirm the same is being procured.
The printed code on the cable would reveal the wire gauge (thickness), voltage rating, and material specification of the cable. The codes indicated on the insulation sheathing or jacket would be THHN, THWN, THWN-2, XHHW, XHHW-2 etcetera. In addition, different types of cables are available specific to end-use in the industry, including power cables, armoured cables, rubber cables, solar cables, halogen-free cables, fire-resistant cables and so on. The right cable could be selected according to the industrial requirements.
Points to be Considered While Ordering Industrial Cables
Avoid installing low-quality cables in the industrial premises. Always ensure that electrical cables of specific rating are used. The points to be considered before ordering industrial cable are:
- Cable Codes – Select the cable of adequate rating only. It would function as expected for a longer period.
- Reputed Manufacturer – Buy the industrial cables from a reputed cable manufacturer only. A complete cable may not be possible. The authenticity of the brand will affirm that the cable has the requisite quality.
- Discuss with Experts – Discuss with industry experts to get a detailed understanding regarding the cables.
- Manufacturing Process – Visit the cable manufacturing facility if possible and observe the process of manufacturing and quality assurance methodology of the firm. Electrical cable manufacturers permit facility visits in case of bulk procurement.
- Don’t Downplay Safety for Money – Using the industrial cable of proven quality and necessary specifications may be costly compared to normal cables that don’t have any guarantee. However, it is safe and cost-effective in the long term.
Picking the right industrial cable is of paramount importance. Examine and confirm the quality of cables before procurement.